New Mexican Corn Chowder



After a week of super ridiculous easy recipes I thought it was time for something with a bit more substance.  This dish is by no means hard, I don't do hard, but it does have quite a few steps.  Don't be intimidated though, this is worth every bit! I am talking show stopping you will want everyone you know to taste it! I adapted this from Light and Delish.  As the summer winds down and we are quickly approaching cooler weather it is time to grab up the last of summers bounty! Corn and Hatch Chile's are the main ingredients in this dish.  If you read my How to Roast Hatch Chile's post you will know how much I love these!

8 cups fresh or frozen corn (I have to confess I used frozen. 8 cups of corn is an awful lot of ears to strip)
1 roasted and diced Hatch Chile see this link on how to roast How to Roast Hatch Chiles
if you can not get your hands on these chiles 2 4oz cans of drained green chiles will work
1 cup onion diced
1/2 tsp each of Cumin, Mexican Oregano, Marjoram, Salt and Pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
3 cups Chicken broth
1/2 c half and half
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes well drained and 1/4 cup cilantro minced (not pictured because, well I forgot)

In a dutch oven drizzle olive oil to coat bottom of pan and cook corn, chile, onion, garlic, and seasonings for 8 min on med high.
Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Cover pot and cook for 15 min. Stir in a large pinch of the diced cilantro.  If you have an immersion blender you can blend till creamy.  If like me you don't then transfer to a blender and puree till creamy.  Hey Steve here is another good Christmas gift idea!

Return the soup back to the dutch oven and add the 1/2 cup half and half and another large pinch of cilantro.  Cook over low for 5-8 minutes.  At this point I do a tasting and add any seasonings it may need.
In a mixing bowl stir the fire roasted tomatoes and the remaining cilantro with salt and pepper to taste.
Plate up the chowder and garnish with the tomato mixture. I promise that you will love it and this will become a family favorite!










3 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...