Steak Rose


My Grandmother, like all your grandmothers, was one of my greatest influences in life.  This was absolutely one of her most favorite meals.  My mother grew up on this, I know grandma made this at least twice a month when I was a child and I am sure that my cousins remember it also.  Even though now as an adult I really try to limit my red meat.  I feel such a sense of nostalgia and really happiness when I make this.  I hope you try this and love it as much as the Schmidt-Lane-Sirois family does!

1 3/4 lbs round steak cut in 1/2" strips
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbs butter
1/2 cup dry white wine ( you can use red, but grandma only liked white)
1 1/4 cup water divided
1/2 package dry onion soup mix
1/2 can tomato paste
1 tbs sugar
4 oz  white sharp cheddar cheese grated (grandma used yellow, I feel that the white has a bit more flavor and adds a bit of a bite to the dish)

Heat oven to 200.  Salt and pepper the beef strips and dredge in the flour.
Melt the 2 tbs butter in a skillet and brown strips on both sides.  Remove from pan and deglaze with wine and 1 cup water.  Add onion soup mix and bring to a boil.
In a 9 x 13 baking dish, sprayed with fat free non stick spray, place browned beef strips and pour the wine mixture over.  Cover dish with foil and bake at 200 for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile in a bowl combine the tomato paste 1/4 cup water and sugar in a bowl.  Once the 45 minutes have past, add to the dish. Recover with the foil and continue cooking 20 more minutes.

Add the shredded cheese, uncover and cook for 10 more minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes and asparagus, or really any vegetable combination your family likes.  The meat is so flavorful and so tender you can just use a fork, no knives needed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...